To Think About

"There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart."
Celia Thaxter

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Poured Ink Technique


This is a sample of the poured ink technique. I will be cutting this up into ATC-sized pieces for the Technique Swap on Arttechniques. The first step is to prepare your watercolor paper. I took a 12 x 16 piece of 140# paper and soaked it in the bathtub for ten minutes. I then laid it onto a piece of masonite board (I had this cut at a home improvement store). After moistening in the tub 4 strips of Gummed Paper Tape, I adhered the tape to the edges of the paper on the board. While the paper was still wet, I poured Dr. Ph. Martin's Bombay India Inks in Yellow, Bright Red, and Red onto the paper and tilted the board various directions to get the colors to mix. I then laid the board flat and applied plastic wrap to the surface, scrunching the wrap up to create interesting marks on the paper. I let it dry overnight and then removed the wrap. A fun technique!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Great technique. I've done a similar thing but on a smaller scale.
Susan