Since these will be swapped, I felt I need to collage one in more earthy tones since lots of people prefer those colors to brights or pastels. I used some of the "holey" paper from Phoenix Arts, and some antique dictionary text. The flower is a Basic Grey paper.
Thursday, June 21, 2007
Wednesday, June 20, 2007
I added papers to the first tulip monoprint. When I looked closer at the magazine samples, I noticed cut edges on the attached papers. This made it easier to fit the pieces in the curved areas. I held the monoprint up to a window (a lightbox would also work; too lazy to take mine out). I drew the shape I wanted to cover with a pencil onto my chosen collage paper. Cut out, and attached all pieces with regular matte gel medium (Golden).
Tuesday, June 19, 2007
You can see how much darker the tulips are compared to the daisy and the pears below. This was a fun process, and I think I will try more intricate designs at another time. I used a Speedball Printer's Block and a small Speedball brayer. I also used Speedball Block Printing Ink in Black.I probably used too much ink, because my very first print was all black, but you could see the design through it. I just drew with a pencil very quickly without stressing over perfection. The next steps to these monoprints will be adding torn papers to the images. I will post the collaged prints when I have done that step. The Arttechniques group is doing a swap based on an article in the recent Cloth Paper Scissors on pages 38-39. Check it out and give it a try!
Here are some very quickly drawn pears that I practiced doing monoprints with. I found that the later images printed more clearly, and that the first printings are much darker. You will notice the difference between these and the floral prints.
Tuesday, June 12, 2007
Another of the Anne Bagby ATCs for the arttechniquesatcs group. The group has enjoyed trying their hand at this style. I chose to use the same image that had been tweaked in different ways using Adobe Photoshop Elements software. I used some hand-carbed stamps on this ATC also.
Sunday, June 03, 2007
This is #3 in the AOM Anne Bagby series. I began with a "poured ink" watercolor paper background. I added a couple of pieces of handpainted paper; one done with oil pastels and webbing spray; the other with Lyra Watercolor crayons and texture templates (Outside the Margins). I used the same DaVinci image which had been tweaked a bit differently than the other two ATCs done previously. I added a handpainted paper halo, and a handpainted paper bottom border. I also used my own handcarved heart stamp on the background and on the bottom of the card. I added some Inktense watercolor pencils to the image and some white paint pen and gold pen dots to the halo. Black Sharpie pen was used for the lines on the halo.